Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Competency #6 -- Databases -- Successive Fractions

My next search will be a successive fractions search in the WorldCat database. I still want to focus on preservation and conservation in libraries, archives, and museums during natural disasters.

I felt the broadest facet would be the search archive OR library OR museum.

S1 is archive OR library OR museum and returned 7,021,068 results. These results did not surprise me though because all terms in this facet are extremely broad.

S1 AND preservation OR conservation returned 351,559 results. These results still did not surprise me though because I had not narrowed down to the specific area I am interested in.

S2 AND natural disaster OR emergency OR catastrophe returned 625 results. These results were a little more manageable compares with the other numbers. I still wanted to narrow it down a little more and chose to add a few limiters.

I limited S3 to the language English, material type Books, and Years 1995-2009. This returned 135 results. A few of the results were:

Preservation : issues and planning /
Author: Banks, Paul N.; Pilette, Roberta.
Publication: Chicago : American Library Association, 2000

Protecting your library's digital sources : the essential guide to planning and preservation /
Author: Kahn, Miriam
Publication: Chicago : American Library Association, 2004

Preserving library materials : a manual /
Author: Swartzburg, Susan G., 1938-
Publication: Metuchen, N.J. : Scarecrow Press, 1995

An ounce of prevention : integrated disaster planning for archives, libraries, and record centres /
Author: Wellheiser, Johanna G.; Scott, Jude,
Publication: Lanham, Md. : Scarecrow Press ; Toronto, Ont. : Canadian Archives Foundation, 2002

Disaster management for libraries and archives /
Author: Matthews, Graham,; Feather, John.
Publication: Aldershot, Hampshire, England ; Burlington, VT : Ashgate Pub., 2003

-------------------------------------
Reflection on Search: I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of relevant results so close to the top. I found several items that I am going to try and get my hands on for further examination. I like this search method because it lets you look at what comes up as you add each additional facet to the search string. This was helpful in finding additional resources that might be filtered out when you add the next facet or buried further down in the results.

No comments: