Monday, March 23, 2009

Competency #6 -- Databases -- Specific Facet First Search

I next decided to complete a specific facet search in ERIC/Ebscohost. I did not think it would be very successful given the generic nature of each set of search strings independent of each other.

The preservation set gave me 12903 results.
The archive set gave me 63216 results.
The natural disaster set gave me 5061 results.

I looked at the natural disaster set since it was the smallest and at first glance it had nothing to do with what I wanted to research. It did provide interesting information though. I particularly liked the results:
How Disasters Affect Local Labor Markets: The Effects of Hurricanes in Florida
By: Belasen, Ariel R.; Polachek, Solomon W.. Journal of Human Resources, v44 n1 p251-276 Win 2009

Community Preparedness
By: Randazzo, Dante. Community College Journal, v79 n3 p28-30, 32-33 Dec 2008-Jan 2009

While the results did not have anything to do with libraries it did provide general information of which some could be applied to preparing for a natural disaster.

I decided to go back and perform a standard building block search.

When I completed a standard building block search I received 63 results.

I particularly liked:
Preservation in the Digital Age: What Is To Be Done?
By: Smith, Abby. American Libraries, v30 n3 p36-39 Mar 1999

Disaster Response Plan, Cunningham Memorial Library, Indiana State University
By: Gaul, Kathleen. 1998 24 pp

Disaster Response and Planning for Libraries
By: Kahn, Miriam B.. 1998 184 pp.

Preservation in American Public Libraries: A Contradiction in Terms?
By: Tolbert, Susan L.. Public Libraries, v36 n4 p236-45 Jul-Aug 1997

Preparing for Library Emergencies: A Cooperative Approach
By: Davis, Mary B.; And Others. Wilson Library Bulletin, v66 n3 p42-44,128 Nov 1991
-------------------------------------
Reflection on Search: I knew when I started this search it would not bring many specific results since each of my facets were so generic. The facets had meaning when I combined them together by completing a standard building block search. Again I did receive good general information about preparing for a disaster and what communities or cities do to prepare their material and equipment. I also did receive great results when I completed the standard building block search. I again found great subject headings that could be used later to complete a citation pearl search.

No comments: