Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Competency #6 -- Databases -- Citation Pearl Search

The last search I will be conducting is a Citation Pearl Database in the Library Lit Database.

During one of my previous searches I found the article:
Preservation in American Public Libraries: A Contradiction in Terms by Susan L. Tolbert

I decided to look at the subject headings and choose one to explore further.

I chose to search:
Author=tolbert
Title = preservation in american public libraries

The subject heading I chose to explore further was "Preservation of library materials."

Some of the searches returned were:
Conway, P. Tec(h)tonics: Reimagining preservation. College & Research Libraries News v. 69 no. 10 (November 2008) p. 598-601

Anderson, R. Preservation, Yes - But What Shall We Preserve?. Against the Grain v. 20 no. 5 (November 2008) p. 52, 54

Hutchins, D., et. al., The Conservation Kitchen: Basic Tools for Any Preservation Recipe. PNLA Quarterly v. 73 no. 1 (Fall 2008) p. 27

Bee, R. The Importance of Preserving Paper-Based Artifacts in a Digital Age. The Library Quarterly v. 78 no. 2 (April 2008) p. 179-94

Eggert, P. The Conservator's Gaze and the Nature of the Work. Library Trends v. 56 no. 1 (Summer 2007) p. 80-106

-------------------------------------
Reflection on Search: I really liked this search. It provided extremely relevant articles about how to conserve and preserve library, archival, and museum collections. I really liked the Preservation, Yes - But What Shall We Preserve article because it made me think about what really would be beneficial for my library to spend the time to preserve. I think I might try this searching method a lot more because it brought up extremely relevant results and narrowed the search really well.

No comments: