Monday, March 23, 2009

Competency #6 -- Databases -- Building Block Search

I chose to start with a building block search in Academic Search Complete. I wanted to focus on preservation and conservation in an archive, library, and museum setting during a natural disaster.

My different facets are:
  • Preservation, archives, natural disaster
The terms for each of my facets are:
  • Preservation, conservation
  • Archive, library, museum
  • Natural disaster, emergency, catastrophe

Here are my searches:
preservation OR conservation = s1
archive OR library OR museum = s2
natural disaster OR emergency OR catastrophe = s3

s1 AND s2 AND s3 = 92

Here are a few hits I received from the search:
Repairing Art Damaged By Natural Disasters.
By: Henning, Joel. Wall Street Journal - Eastern Edition, 8/12/2008, Vol. 252 Issue 36, pD7, 0p, 1 bw

Protecting Treasures On A Shaky Planet
By: Kino, Carol. New York Times, 03/12/2008, p18, 0p

Disaster Planning in Libraries.
By: Yi Ling Wong; Green, Ravonne. Journal of Access Services, 2006, Vol. 4 Issue 3/4, p71-82, 12p

Coming Back From Major Disaster: Month One
By: Curzon, Susan Carol. Public Library Quarterly, 2006, Vol. 25 Issue 3/4, p17-29, 13p

The Seven Deadly Sins of Disaster Recovery
By: Silverman, Randy. Public Library Quarterly, 2006, Vol. 25 Issue 3/4, p31-46, 16p

-------------------------------------
Reflection on Search: I had tried using truncation (*) on several of my search terms to include plural and alternative spellings but doing this brought up way too irrelevant results. I chose not to truncate in order to get a more manageable set of search results and more relevant results. I was happy overall with the results although the terms did trigger some medical results since several journals start with Archives in or Archives of. I did find several subject headings that I would like to complete a Citation Pearl or Snowballing Approach search with.

No comments: